By Mike Chaffin
And there are also many other things that Jesus did, which if they were written one by one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that would be written. Amen. John 21:25
John’s last words aren’t exaggeration. God is involved in so much of the small stuff in our lives there are too many to count or write about them. John took his shot at it and, like Luke, ended with an amen; ‘it is so’.
John wrote about Jesus’s perfect life showcasing seven miracles and seven statements. He showed us who Jesus is. After reading the Gospel of John there is no doubt Jesus is the Son of God, our Savior and should be Lord of our life.
In seven I am statements John tells us what Jesus said about himself. Since God does not lie, these are true. Jesus said,
- “I am the bread of life.” He sustains us.
- “I am the light of the world.” He gives us instruction and clarity for life.
- “I am the door of the sheep.” He is the one we listen to.
- “I am the resurrection and the life.” He gave His life for our sins.
- “I am the good shepherd.” He protects us and nurtures us.
- “I am the way, the truth, and the life.” Only through Jesus do we know truth.
- “I am the true vine.” We attach ourselves to Christ and receive sustenance through the Holy Spirit.
John described seven of Jesus miracles. He listed the very first one, meant to show a few people who He is, to the last miracle where he shows everyone who He is. They are,
- Turning water into wine in Cana (2:1-11)
- Healing an official’s son in Capernaum (4:46-54)
- Healing an invalid at the Pool of Bethesda in Jerusalem (5:1-18)
- Feeding the 5,000 near the Sea of Galilee (6:5-14)
- Walking on the water of the Sea of Galilee (6:16-21)
- Healing a blind man in Jerusalem (9:1-7)
- Raising Lazarus from death to life in Bethany (11:1-45)
Jesus is our Savior. He is our God. He is our comforter, healer, and provider. Through Him all things are possible. John’s last words are important as God is still writing His story through your relationship with Jesus Christ. Books can’t contain all the stories that can be told. Amen.
Prayer: Lord, thank you for clearly showing John who you are, the Word become flesh. You made it abundantly clear we can trust you, and we can know you. Draw me close to you and feed me with your Word and wisdom. In Jesus name, amen.